Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Evelyn Glennie: How to Listen






What struck you?


I was really struck when Evelyn said that she was deaf! I totally wasn't expecting that because she could play those instruments (a marimba and a snare drum) like a beast! I was also shocked that she could play those instruments just by feeling the vibrations! It made me think that maybe this could be an ultimate cure to deafness?


What did you notice?


I noticed that her body movement changes with the tempo of her playing. When she was playing fast and hard, she would get really close to her marimba and when she was playing soft and slow, she would get really far away from her marimba. It was interesting to watch. I think that maybe that's how Beethoven learned how to play his piano, by feeling the vibrations.


What did you enjoy about her performance? Be specific.


I loved that when she played you could feel the vibrations echoing from her marimba. Even if this performance was in 2003, it made me feel like I was right there with her while she played. Honestly, the humming and buzzing of the marimba made me get goosebumps. I even shivered!

No comments:

Post a Comment