Friday, May 7, 2010

Farmer's Market Visit

5 . 7 . 2010

What is your name and your role here at the farmer's market?

My name is Cindy Christ and I am a handmade-soap vendor.


Why do you choose to shop here?

I don't really shop here because I work here. I do visit other Farmer's Markets though that have more produce and I do my shopping there.


When did you start coming here?

I started coming here around a year ago.


Do you garden at home? Why or why not?

Yes, I grow my own herbs and flowers for my soaps.


What would be your advice to get others to do what you do?

You have to have dedication to helping your community, and so I suggest finding that dedication somewhere and using it.


Have you seen the movie Food Inc.? What did you think?

I haven't seen the actual movie but it's on my list due to the preview. The preview did look interesting, relevant, and revealed some little loop holes in the government that we should be stopping.


Look up cheap items and expensive items. Were they what you expected?

I looked at over five vending booths but I noticed that out of the three, that only two were expensive. The three booths that were less expensive were the flower booths, the bread booth, and the herb booths. Each one of these were about five dollars per multiple items. On the other hand, the other two booths, the organic almond booth and the organic olive oil and balsamic vinegarette were on the more expensive side. These products leaned more towards the fifteen to twenty dollar range per package.

By the way, I saw Brandon D. on the way out of the Farmer's Market and Andrew P.M. on his bike pedaling down the road towards the Market on my way home! Hey guys! :)

4 comments:

  1. I like how the organic almonds and olive oil booths were more expensive then the bread, flowers, and herbs. It makes sense that the bread is cheap but it made me think about why the flowers would be cheap when it takes lots of care and time to grow them. I thought it was cool you saw Andrew riding his bike to the market saving gas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked how you interviewed a soap vendor as opposed to a shopper or food vendor. It shows how there is more than just food as the farmers market. It made me think when you said flowers herbs and bread were more expensive than the olive oil and almonds. The olive oil I understand because it needs to go through a process, but the almonds you just pick off the tree (I know, i have an almond tree). I thought it was kinda funny that you saw Brandon and I at the market.
    P.S.(to luke)I wasn't saving gas, my parents were out and about so I just biked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1.) I like that you took the time to compare products to find a price range from expensive to cheap. I thought you made a good point about how it wasn't necessarily the cheaper option to shop at a Farmer's Market.

    2.) The idea that it is not necessarily the less expensive choice to shop at a Farmer's Market makes me wonder why that is such a common misconception. Why would that be people's assumption? I know that when a friend of mine first started going to Farmer's Markets they were surprised to see that many of the products' pricing were similar to those at their local supermarket. I wonder why that is.

    3.) Great idea to use black and white photos to decorate this blog post!! (I also enjoyed your little shout-out to Brandon and Andrew.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked the comparison between booths. it made me remember and think of food inc. of how a family they showed could't afford fruits and veggies so they went to fast food places were they could get there food for a buck.
    I also liked how you asked them if they had seen food inc. it grabed my attention of wondering what was there reflection, but he haden't seen it.

    ReplyDelete